Squarecap offers two levels of integration with popular learning management systems:
- Our Canvas API Integration allows teachers and students to use Squarecap with their existing Canvas credentials (single sign-on). Teachers can import their courses and rosters directly from Squarecap to Canvas, as well as upload Squarecap grades directly and automatically to Canvas.
- Our LTI integration allows students to access Squarecap content directly from their LMS and allows teachers to upload grades directly from Squarecap to Canvas.
Before enabling an integration, feel free to reach out to email@example.com with any questions concerning security, FERPA compliance, or accessibility.
Enabling a Canvas API Integration
To enable an API integration with Squarecap:
- Log into your Canvas instance as an administrator.
- Click on Admin, then click on your school's account name
- Click on Developer Keys > Add Developer Key > API Key
- Fill in the following information, leaving all other fields blank:
- Click Save Key
- Under the newly created Developer Key, click Show Key
- Copy both the Developer Key and ID, then send this information to firstname.lastname@example.org through your preferred secure channel
If your institution requires API scope limiting for Canvas integrations, we encourage you to enable these scopes for Squarecap.
Squarecap is a Certified Canvas Partner.
Adding Squarecap as an LTI Tool Provider
For LTI integrations, Squarecap will generate a secret and key combination for administrators to use for tool setup. To request a key and secret, email email@example.com.
Once you've obtained a key and secret from us, add us as a tool provider to your learning management system.
Follow these instructions to add a new LTI tool provider. Navigate to the Register Provider Domain form, then fill in the following information:
- Provider Domain: https://www.squarecap.com
- Provider Domain Status: Approved
- Default Configuration: Set globally
- Key and Secret: Enter the values provided by firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send User Data: Send user data only over SSL
- User Fields to Send: ✓ Role in Course, ✓ Name, ✓ Email
Finally, click Submit.
Follow these instructions to add a new LTI 1.1 tool to your site from your administrative workspace. On the External Tool screen, fill in the following information:
- Tool Title: Squarecap
- Button Text: Squarecap
- Custom Icon: 🎓
- Tool Status: Enabled
- Tool Visibility: Visible
- Description: For tracking attendance, encouraging class participation, and providing students with immediate feedback in class
- Launch URL: https://squarecap.com/api/v1/lti
- Allow Launch URL to be changed: Allow
- Launch Key: Enter the key value provided by email@example.com
- Allow launch key to be changed: Do not allow
- Launch Secret: Enter the secret value provided by firstname.lastname@example.org
- Allow launch secret to be changed: Do not allow
- Launch types: ✓ Allow the tool to be launched as a link
- Privacy Settings: ✓ Send User Names to External Tool ✓ Send Email Addresses to External Tool
- Services: ✓ Allow External Tool to return grades ✓ Allow External Tool to create grade columns ✓ Provide Roster to External Tool
- Launch in Popup: Always launch in Popup
Finally, click Submit.
Note: Instructions specific to Moodle and Brightspace coming soon. If you're using an LMS other than Canvas, Blackboard, or Sakai, just email email@example.com and we'll work directly with you to enable integration with your LMS.