Squarecap is a classroom response application that your instructor will be using during your course for in-class Q&A and verifying your attendance.
Note: This guide is for students whose school's Canvas is connected to Squarecap. If your school's Canvas isn't connected to Squarecap, see these instructions instead. If you're not sure, just email firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of your professor and course.
- Website: Visit http://www.squarecap.com/sign_up from any web-enabled device. Note that Google Chrome is the preferred browser for Squarecap.
- App for phones and tablets
Creating an account:
- Select your school from the sign-up page of the website or app. Make sure that you search for your specific institution and location (e.g. UT Austin vs UTSA) and click your institution's name when it comes up.
- Click Sign up with Canvas. If you're not logged into Canvas, you'll have to sign in using your Canvas credentials.
- Once signed in, Canvas will ask you to grant Squarecap access to your account. Click Authorize and Squarecap will automatically pull your student information and course enrollments from Canvas.
Note for Android users: If you have the Canvas app installed, clicking Sign up with Canvas may either do nothing or bring up an infinite loading icon. To fix this, disable the Canvas app from loading by default. After you've cleared Canvas's default settings, go back to Squarecap and click Sign Up again. When Android asks you which app to use, choose your web browser instead of the Canvas app.
Managing your course enrollments
Since Squarecap automatically syncs your Canvas enrollments, your Squarecap courses will show up immediately after you sign in. If a course you're enrolled in doesn't show up, there may be a few reasons:
- Your teachers may have not set up their courses in Squarecap yet
- If you were recently added to a course in Canvas, it may take up to 24 hours for the course to show up in Squarecap
- You won't be able to see your course in Squarecap unless the teacher publishes it in Canvas
If your course still isn't showing up, email email@example.com with a request for enrollment, including the name of your professor and course.
Managing your subscription
If your course requires a Squarecap subscription, you can subscribe by logging into the website and clicking Settings > Manage Subscription.
Note: Squarecap subscriptions cannot be purchased from within our mobile app.
Squarecap's subscription options
There are several options for subscribing:
- You can purchase a one-semester, one-year, or four-year subscription on the website using a credit/debit card. Note that all our subscriptions are just a one-time purchase with no recurring billing.
- If you have an access code for Squarecap, click Input Access Code at the bottom of the subscription page and enter the 16-digit alphanumeric code. Access codes are pre-programmed for a specific duration (e.g. one-semester, one-year) and are for one-time use only. Your campus bookstore may carry access cards for Squarecap.
- If you're using a textbook from Cengage Learning or W.W. Norton, your class syllabus will indicate whether Squarecap is available bundled with your textbook. If so, you have the option to purchase a textbook bundle which includes a Squarecap access code. This code will be given to you electronically or physically depending on how you purchased it. If you purchased a physical textbook, the access code may be located within the front or back of your textbook.
- If your course uses Norton Inclusive Access, your Inclusive Access enrollment may come with a Squarecap subscription. This will be indicated in either your class syllabus and/or the purchase page for Inclusive Access. During the add/drop period for your course, you’ll have the option to either pay for Inclusive Access or opt-out. If you opt-out, you will have to purchase Squarecap using options 1 or 2.
Using Squarecap in class
Always Use Classroom Wi-Fi: Make sure your device is connected to classroom Wi-Fi prior to logging into Squarecap. Your instructor has the option to flag students who aren't on the Wi-Fi network and can deny credit to those students. If you have been flagged for attendance, you will see a message on your screen as soon as the Squarecap session is finished, and you'll have to see the instructor after class in order to verify your attendance.
Join code: If your instructor is using a join code for attendance, they'll display a 6-digit alphanumeric code to you in class. You'll have to enter that code to be counted for attendance.
Seat map: If your instructor is using the seat map feature, you'll be prompted to select your seat after you enter a Squarecap session. Tap your seat to select it. Or, if your seat map has seat numbers, enter your seat number at the top.
Participate in Q & A: When you click on the Q&A icon, you will see questions appear as soon as your teacher starts them. You will be able to answer the question until the timer runs out or your teacher finishes the question. To move between questions, scroll up or down. Make sure you receive the confirmation message “Answer Choice Saved” for every question you answer. If you see “Failed to Save”, refresh the page and try again.
Ask & Vote: If your teacher has enabled Ask & Vote, you can ask questions at any point during the session, vote on questions that other students ask, and reply to questions with answers or feedback. Questions are anonymous to your classmates, but your teacher can choose to identify you or block you if you input off-topic questions.
Troubleshooting: If something isn't working properly, try the following:
- If you're using a web browser, try:
- Using Google Chrome instead of Safari or Microsoft Edge
- Refreshing your browser page
- Logging out and logging back in
- Clearing your browser's cache
- If you're using our mobile app, try:
- Closing and reopening the app
- Logging out and logging back in
- Uninstalling and reinstalling the app
- If you're on Android and have the Canvas app installed, clicking Sign up with Canvas may either do nothing or bring up an infinite loading icon. To fix this:
- Disable the Canvas app from loading by default within your Android app settings
- After you've cleared Canvas's default settings, go back to Squarecap and click Sign Up again
- When Android asks you which app to use, choose your web browser instead of the Canvas app
Thank you for using Squarecap!