This handout only applies to the following schools where Canvas Sign-In is enabled
- University of Central Florida
- University of San Francisco
- University of South Florida
- University of Texas at Austin
- University of Oklahoma
- Florida State University
Instructors may include the following in their course syllabus
Squarecap Instructions for Students
Squarecap is a classroom response application that your instructor will be using during your course for in-class Q&A and verifying your attendance.
How to access Squarecap:
- Website: Use any Wi-Fi capable device (connect to classroom Wi-Fi network preferably) and visit http://www.squarecap.com on your web browser (Google Chrome is the preferred browser)
- App for phones and tablets
Sign Up for an Account:
- Select your school on the opening page of the app or website.
- You will see "Sign Up with Canvas" button; Click on that, it will take you to your school's Canvas login page. Login with your Canvas credentials. All other information to create your Squarecap account including your course enrollment is also automatically pulled in from Canvas so you should be placed into the correct course that is using Squarecap.
Manage your Subscription: If your class requires a Squarecap subscription, you can subscribe by clicking on “Manage Subscriptions” from the menu. There are couple of options for your subscription
1. You can purchase one on the website using a credit/debit card by choosing the type of subscription (1 semester, one year, 4 years). Note that all our subscriptions are just a one time purchase (no recurring billing).
2. Some textbooks from Cengage Learning publications only as of now offer a Squarecap bundle option (i.e. textbook + Squarecap). Your class syllabus will indicate which is the textbook for your class and whether this option is available to you. If you have purchased an applicable textbook bundle from your bookstore or the textbook publisher directly, your textbook bundle would come with a Squarecap access code (given to you electronically or physically depending on whether you purchased it online or at the campus bookstore). Click on "Input Access code" on the Manage subscriptions page and enter your 16 digit alphanumeric access code. If you have an access code, there is no need to buy a subscription. Access codes are pre-programmed for specific duration (e.g. one semester or one year subscription) and are for one time use only.
Use Classroom Wi-Fi: Please ensure your device is connected to the school Wi-Fi prior to logging into Squarecap. Your instructor has the ability to flag any students not on the Wi-Fi network and those students might not receive credit. If you have been flagged for attendance, you will see a message on your screen as soon as the lecture is finished and you must see instructor after class.
Seatmap: If your instructor is using the seat map feature, you will see the classroom seat map after you Sign In. Select the seat you are sitting in (if you are off by a bit, it is OK)
Participate in Q & A: When you click on the Q&A icon, you will see the first question once your instructor has started the assignment in Squarecap. You will be able to answer the question if it is open (i.e. timer has not expired) To move between questions just scroll up or down. Make sure you receive the confirmation message “Answer Choice Saved” for every question you answer. If you see “Failed to Save”, refresh your browser and answer again.
Ask & Vote: You can ask questions at any point during the session, anonymous to your classmates and also vote up on other student’s questions by going to the Ask & Vote icon.
Basic Troubleshooting: Some tips include using the Google Chrome browser as Squarecap works best on it; refreshing your web page; logging out and logging back in; clearing your browser’s cache.
Help and Support: Fastest way is to email email@example.com or call 1-855-777-4763 (Toll free).
Thank you for using Squarecap
Q&A Ask & Vote Seatmap